Tough Times at the Paperclip for Moffat
Wilson Security GRM driver James Moffat endured a tough weekend at Queensland Raceway, with an ill-handling car providing a best race result of 14th.
After a tail end finish to the opening race due to opening lap contact, Moffat grafted hard to salvage some points on Sunday, with a late race charge after a safety car intervention.
Following 16 races of season 2017, Moffat now sits 12th in the series standings.
The Virgin Australia Supercars Championship continues at Sydney Motorsport Park in three weekend’s time, with the ninth event of the season.
- Fine conditions, cool mornings and warm days, which prevailed throughout the weekend.
- Richard Muscat took to the wheel of car 34 for the opening additional drivers practice session.
- Twin 45-minute-long practice sessions netted the 27th and 24th best times.
“A pretty tough day for us, nothing really seemed to work,” said Moffat.
“Rolling out of the truck, the initial setup speed just wasn’t there, and everything we tried didn’t seem to improve the situation.”
- The third and final 45-minute-long practice session resulted in the 29th fastest lap.
- A tough 15 minutes of qualifying saw Moffat set the 28th fastest time.
- Moffat’s race didn’t get past turn three, when he was spun by Dale Wood, with the resulting damage sending the number 34 Commodore to the garage for extended repairs.
- The car was classified 28th in the final run down
“We really struggled with the balance of the car for whatever reason, we just couldn’t get it to work to my driving style around this circuit,” said Moffat.
“It’s a circuit I know well, it’s a circuit I’ve had a pole position at previously…
“Unfortunately starting at the back, I got turned around at turn three, I was clipped at the front, which moved the front splitter right across, and we pretty much just had to survive to the finish.”
- The 20-minute qualifying session netted Moffat the 25th starting position.
- A return to his solid starts saw Moffat settle into 22nd position.
- The car had its two compulsory pit services on laps 19 and 42 of 65 from sixth position.
- In the final stint, Moffat settled into 20th prior to a late race safety car intervention.
- Charging to the finish, Moffat crossed the line in 14th position, the first of the three GRM cars home.
“Again, we had absolutely no speed in qualifying, and again, we were running around just doing our own thing in the race without much speed,” said Moffat
“I didn’t have any tyre troubles like a few of them, somehow we managed to finish 14th.
“I don’t know if there is any other way to put it than a terrible weekend, I can’t remember having another weekend with so little car speed in my whole career to be honest.
“That’s pretty disappointing and frustrating, hopefully we can come up with some solutions for Sydney Motorsport Park onwards.”